Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Adhesive
Date 1885-1910
Maker Russia Cement Co.
Material Metal/Glue
Used Saranac Lakes area
Description LePage's Liquid Glue, A small 1/2 pint container made of tinned steel (probably) with a paper label stating the virtues of the glue. The twist-on top appears to be a homemade replacement. Manufactured by the Russia Cement Co. Gloucester, Mass, USA.
"PREPERED EXPRESSLY / FOR USE UPON / ALL KINDS OF WOODWORK / LEATHER, CLOTH, PAPER, IVORY, METALS &c / ALWAYS READY FOR USE".
Found in Stowe tool chest (2006.52.1).
Notes Stowe worked as a carpenter at large camps that began to appear on the Saranac Lakes in the late 1890s. He also made rustic furniture unlike anything that could be found elsewhere. The furniture here is typical of Stowe's handiwork, in his use of white birch bark and of split and whole yellow birch rods. He adopted various decorative elements usually identified with high style cabinetwork; examples are quarter columns and cornices. Stowe moved to Florida in 1911, leaving his cabin and tools to the care of a friend (Petty family, Clarence's father). He never returned to the Adirondacks.
Dimensions H-3.5 Dia-2.5 inches
Collection General Purpose Tools
Catalog Number 2006.052.0072
Imagefile 087\2006.052.0072.JPG
Species Adhesive