|Object Name||Launch, Steam|
|Medium||Oil on canvas|
Steam Launch OSPREY
L: 42' 7"B: 10' 5"
Engine built by Clute Bros. & Co., Schenectady, 1881
OSPREY is typical of the small steamboats that changed the character of tourism in the Adirondacks. Like most of her sisters, her hull was probably built in the mountains by local boatbuilders. Her engine and boiler were built outside the region. Unlike commercial steamers like Buttercup, Irocosia, Killoquah, and Toowarloodah, Osprey was built as a private launch. Her first owner was Charles W. Durant who purchased Osprey Island in Raquette Lake in 1881. Durant named his boat Stella; she was renamed when she and the island were sold to J. Harvey Ladew in the late 1880s.
|Notes||Extensively rebuilt in the 1950s upon acquisition; cosmetic restoration done early 2000s.|
|Other number||cat. 167|