|Used||Johnson, Jr., William C.|
Coin: Philippines, 5 centavos
About currency: Japanese invasion money, officially known as Southern Development Bank Notes, was currency issued by the Japanese Military Authority, as a replacement for local currency after the conquest of colonies and other states in World War II. In February 1942 in Japan, laws were passed establishing the Wartime Finance Bank and the Southern Development Bank. Both institutions issued bonds to raise funds.
In the Philippines: On 10 December 1941 Japanese troops landed on Luzon. The Japanese overran Manila on 2 January 1942, and in the process captured more than $20.5 Million in U.S. and local cash and an unknown amount of foreign currency and bullion. The Japanese used this hard currency abroad to purchase raw materials, rice and weapons to fuel and feed its war machine. In its place, the Japanese issued several series of fiat currency. The first issue in 1942 consisted of denominations of 1, 5, 10 and 50 centavos and 1, 5, and 10 Pesos. The next year brought "replacement notes" of the 1, 5 and 10 Pesos while 1944 ushered in a 100 Peso note and soon after an inflationary 500 Pesos note. Near the end of the war in 1945 the Japanese issued a 1,000 Pesos note. Plates for this note were completed in Manila shortly before U.S. troops entered the city on 3 February 1945, and the Japanese printed the 1,000 Pesos note while they were retreating from Manila to Baguio. The Japanese were on the defensive and short of supplies, they diluted printer’s ink with duplicator fluid to stretch stores.
William Chester "Chet" Johnson, Sr. (April 23, 1896 - ?), born in Clinton, NY to Rev. Fenton W. Johnson and Florence Bailey Johnson. Served in the US Navy from 1917 to 1919. Married Ellen Knapp (April 6, 1906 - ?) Christmas Eve 1919. Lived in Tupper Lake except for three years they spent in Florida from 1923-26. They had seven children Bill Jr., Mary Ellen, Stanley. He worked as a carpenter.
William Chester Johnson, Jr. (April 4, 1924 - ?), born in St. Petersburg, Fl but raised and attended school in Tupper Lake, NY. Entered the Armed Forces in December 1942 and served in WWII from 1943-1946 in the South Pacific. Upon returning to the Adirondacks be attended Clarkson College of Technology, in Civil and Environmental Engineering in Potsdam, NY. While at Clarkson he met his first wife, Jean M. Schutt (September 8, 1929 - March 1954). The couple settled in Tupper Lake and were married in 1950. Bill worked with his father and brother Stanley in the family's general contracting business, Wm. C. Johnson & Sons. They had two children, Martha. She died in March 1954. Bill met his second wife, Jane Bobak at the office. They were married in 1955 and had three children. Bill managed the construction of the Adirondack Museum from 1955 to 1982 when he retired.
Jane Olga Bobak (March 15, 1934 - ?), to John and Sylvia Bobak. Eventually moved to Cedar Rock Lodge with family, caretakers for Dr. Browning.
For more detail see accession folder.
|Owned by||Johnson, Jr., William C.|