|Used||Blue Mt. Lake|
Cooper's adz, metal head with wooden handle: a one-handed tool used for both cutting and pounding. Probably a manufactured head with additional handworking (tool marks visible). The long, curved head has a rectangular pounding poll on one end and a rounded cutting bit on the other end. In the center underneath is a ferrule that holds a short, straight wooden handle. The handmade handle is hollow. A bolt runs from top of the adz head to bottom of the handle and is secured with a square nut. The handle flares slightly at the bottom.
This adz head and 1959.33.1 appear to be the same pattern, from the same manufacturer. The difference is: this one is lighter, narrower, and has less curve.
This and other items in the accession were left in Stanton "Cottage" when the museum took ownership in 1958. For more information about Chester L. Stanton, see Notes and accession folder.
Stanton "Cottage" was located across the road from the museum's entrance. It was not a cottage; it was a three-storey structure, and may have been a Victorian style structure. The property was purchased on May 14, 1958 from William E. Stanton and wife June L. Stanton. They acquired it on February 20, 1955 as per the Last Will and Testament of Chester L. Stanton (b. 27 Jan. 1864, d. 21 Nov. 1952). The property originally belonged to Miles Tyler Merwin.
Stanton "Cottage" was torn down by the museum ca. 1985.
|Dimensions||H-8.5 W-8 D-2.5 inches|
|Other number||AM 2642|