Birchbark Canoe. Gunwales reinforced with copper nails to tops of stems, secured with ash splints. Seatless with five thwarts.
Built by an unknown Canadian Indian between 1896 and 1913
The financier and millionaire J. Pierpont Morgan bought Camp Uncas from William West Durant in 1896. According to tradition, he brought an Indian to the camp from Canada to build this canoe for his use at Uncas. The metal fastenings and general construction make this canoe typical of such craft built for "sports" around the turn of the century.
12'6" X 31.5"
Originally cataloged as a gift of Uncas Estate, in 1986 the canoe was re-cataloged as being a gift from Robert W. Birrell (at his request). Artifact comes from the estate of J. Pierpont Morgan, and was included in the Uncas Estate when it was purchased by Herbert Birrell in 1955.
|Dimensions||W-31.5 L-150 inches|
|Other number||AM 2550, cat. 2|
|Owned by||Morgan, J. Pierpont|