|Used||Swanson Dam, West Canada Creek|
|Description||Hand forged iron anchor found near Swanson Dam on the North Branch of the West Canada Creek. One of two used to secure a raft (12' x 14') that held a winch or capstan; the raft would be about 200 feet below the log boom. A rope attached to one end of the winch and to one end of the boom operated by two men would pull the end of the boom about 200 feet. Then the raft would be moved to the other side of the river and the process repeated with the other end of the boom. This controlled the rate at which they moved logs closer to the dam, to then be pushed down the river. Used from c.1880 to c.1925. Used by Berton Brunner (born 1872) of Indian Lake, who had worked for Sol Carnahan in the 1890s. The donor is a retired forest ranger who arranged to have the anchors brought to the museum.|
Length of arm: 45.5 in.
Diameter of ring: 9 in.
|Dimensions||H-42.5 W-33.5 D-8 inches|
|Other number||AM 0444|