|Used||Camp Pine Knot, Raquette Lake|
|Description||Butter churn made of wood and metal. Cylinder made of wooden tongue-and-groove planks; tapers from bottom to top. Bottom is a wooden disk which fits into a groove. The lid is a tapered disk that pressure-fits into top; there is a hole in the center of the lid for the handle of the churning stick, or dasher. Four iron hoops hold cylinder together. The dasher has flat, X-shape on bottom, perforated with five holes, for agitating the cream; goes inside cylinder and handle fits thorugh hole in center of lid.|
Upright or cylinder type of butter churn made of wood and metal. The cylinder is made of wooden planks similar to barrel staves. It is wider at the bottom. The bottom is a wooden disk that fits into a groove. Four iron hoops hold cylinder together.
The lid is a tapered disk that is pressure-fit into top; there is a hole in the center of the lid for the handle of the dasher. The dasher has flat, X-shape on bottom, perforated with five holes for agitating the cream into butter; it stands upright inside the cylinder.
This primitive butter churn may have been used by the cooking staff at Camp Pine Knot in the 1880s, but was probably kept as a rustic furnishing after it was retired from use.
Camp Pine Knot is the great camp built on the shore of Raquette Lake by William West Durant in the 1880s and sold to Collis P. Huntington in 1895.
|Dimensions||H-38.5 Dia-12 inches|
|Collection||HF095 Food Processing, Preserving|
|Other number||AM 72|