Surveyors spikes. Ten surveyors spikes total. Spikes ranges from 15'' to 18'' in length. Spikes have a circular eye hook at the top end, approximately 1'' in diameter. A piece of white or red cloth is tied onto the eye hook.
No maker's mark.
At the time he retired, Ernest was the longest-serving employee of the Conservation Department. He was especially cited by the Commissioner for his early work in forest fire control, which included the site selection and erection of fire towers throughout the Adirondacks.
Ernest Blue was born on August 3, 1890, at the family farm near the town of North Gage, Oneida County, NY. In the summer of 1910, he joined the Biltmore Forest School, which at the time was temporarily operating on the lands of the Cummer - Diggens Lumber Company near Cadillac, Michigan. (The Biltmore School was a 'travelling' school, which moved from location to location. Students could enroll at any time, and were graduated when they had completed all of the courses, which were taught in series. Tuition was $960, and each student had to provide his own horse.)
Ernest graduated from Biltmore Forest School in August of 1911. He purchased the compass and tripod shortly thereafter. He probably purchased a used instrument rather than a new one because of cost, but the compass would not have been out of date during the time he used it. He immediately went to work for the Finch, Pruyn Company of Glens Falls, NY, 'cruising' timber (inspecting lands with reference to possible lumber yield) on the company's vast holdings in Hamilton and Essex Counties.
On April 20, 1912 he was hired by the NYS Conservation Commission as a laborer at the Saranac Inn Tree Nursery. In 1915, he took on a job with New York State at Lake Pond Camp near Paul Smiths, NY where he supervised the planting of one million trees on State land. For more biographical information, see "ERNEST WELLS BLUE: A brief account of a life in the woods," written by his son, Allan G. Blue, at:
|Dimensions||L-16 Dia-0.25 inches|
|Other number||AM 0054B|