|Used||"French Louis" Seymour; West Canada Lake and Limekiln Lake|
Transom-sterned rowboat painted green. 3 plank seats. 2 sets of oarlocks. No oars. Floorboards. Carvel-planked.
L: 12' 6" B: 40" Wt: 82lbs.
Not all Adirondack guides rowed and "toted" Adirondack guideboats as they took their clients from fishing hole to deer run. "French Louie" Seymour, a renowned guide, trapper and hermit of the West Canada Lakes area, spread boats throughout his working territory after he built his sporting camp in 1885 so that he had a boat at every lake or stillwater. Among the thirty-eight boats he had hidden in the woods were several "sturdy, well-made, round-bottom boats," made by the Wilson brothers of Oneida, who regularly visited a lean-to on the big West Canada Lake.* This boat is probably one of them. It was originally brought into the woods by one of the Wilsons when he came hunting with Andrew Shepardson of Symrna in the 1870s, hiring French Louie as guide. When John Shepardson built a camp on Limekiln Lake around 1910, he had Seymour bring the boat the twenty-six miles through the woods to the new Camp Wilmajo.
This lightly-built boat originally had a carrying yoke. The carvel planking is riveted to the frames and caulked with strands of cotton wicking.
|Notes||12' 6" x 39.75", 82lbs.|
|Dimensions||W-3.313 L-12.5 feet|
|Other number||AM 2877, cat. 149|
|Owned by||Shepardson, Andrew & John W.|