Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title [Camp Intermission]
Object Name Print, Gelatin Silver
Other number P001543
Description Print, black and white: Side view of a stone building with some wood paneling at the top half. House is set in the woods, a court with a chain link fence to the left.

Written below matte, "Adirondack Lodge / of / Mr. William Morris / William G. Distin Architect / Arthur G. Wilson Associate / Saranac Lake, NY"
Date 1920s
Collection Photo Collection
Search Terms Camp Intermission
Saranac Lake
rustic architecture
Franklin County
Catalog Number 2011.004.0077
Notes Address: Camp Colby Road
Old Address: Northwest Bay Road

Other names: Camp Colby, Lake Colby Environmental Education Camp and Conference Center

Year built: c. 1928. Another source says that land for the camp was purchased in 1911; the camp may have been built as early as 1916.

Architect: William G. Distin and A.G. Wilson, built by J.J. O'Connell & Sons

Other information: A Great Camp built for theatrical agent William Morris on 110 acres on Lake Colby. There are seven contributing outbuildings. A two-story cure porch is attached at the front southeast corner.

The basement is a single room, sixty-five feet long, reached by a circular stone and concrete staircase with wrought-iron posts and a chain railing. The walls are of stone boulders, with stone arches over the windows. A massive stone chimney with built-in shelves and a lighted waterfall in its base dominates the room. A there is also a corner stone fireplace, and carved stone heads decorate the walls.

Guests included entertainer Sir Harry Lauder, Tom Burke, the Irish tenor, Eddie Cantor, Sophie Tucker and Olga Petrova after whom Petrova Avenue is named.

Henry Fleury was caretaker at the camp for twelve years, and continued into the "Camp Colby" years.

Frame stored in Defunct Labels