|Collection||Lumber Camp Mission Slide Collection [graphic]|
|Object Name||Photograph Collection|
|Date||between 1914 and 1917|
|Scope & Content||
Documents lumber camps visited by Presbyterian missionaries as "lumberjack sky pilots." Depicts camps, loggers, lumber, lumber facilities, transportation, and fire prevention facilities. Contains views of mountains and bodies of water, some in snow. Portrays Frank E. Higgins and other missionaries including Aaron W. Maddox, Charles Atwood, C.W. Mason, John Logan, and Frank A. Reed.
The Lumber camp missionary program began in 1914 and included visits to about 150 camps in the Adirondacks. The program was founded by Reverend Frank E. Higgins. A lumberjack sky pilot was an itinerant clergyman who conducted religious services in the logging camps.
Fair use copy permitted for research, study, or investigational purposes citing the Adirondack Museum. Any other use requires written permission.
Cite as: Lumber Camp Mission Slide Collection, Adirondack Museum, Blue Mountain Lake, NY
Collection title devised by cataloger, based on subject material.
Some images identified in Aaron W. Maddox's lantern slide lecture notes titled "On the Slides of the Lumber Camp Mission in the Adirondacks" prepared November 1917 and available in the accession folder, 1970.057.
Part of: Living with Wilderness: Enhancing Access to the AM Historic Photograph Collection (Council on Library and Information Resources Grant, 2015-2017)
Maddox, Aaron W., 1873-1952
Higgins, Francis E., 1865-1915
Anderson, T. B.
Reed, Frank A. (Frank Andrew), 1895-