|Collection||Emporium Lumber Company Photograph Collection [graphic]|
|Object Name||Photograph Collection|
|Date||between 1911 and 1960|
|Scope & Content||
Collection of photographs of the Emporium Forestry Company in Conifer, NY. Images are of the lumber industry, Conifer, and the Grasse River Railroad. The railroad was used to haul cut lumber and traveled between the New York Central Station at Childwold, NY, and the Emporium Forestry Company operation at Cranberry Lake, NY. The sawmill at Conifer opened in 1911 and the railroad started operating in 1913. The mill was closed by 1927 and the Emporium Forestry Company was dissolved in 1950.
The Emporium Lumber Company had its beginnings in Pennsylvania, under William L. Sykes, but after 25 prosperous years Sykes began buying land in the Adirondack Mountains of New York owing to the scarcity of hardwood left in Pennyslvania. The name for the New York operation was changed to the Emporium Forestry Corporation. Emporium Forestry became the largest hardwood operation in the east with Adirondack land holdings peaking at 125,000 acres.
Fair use copy permitted for research, study, or investigational purposes citing the Adirondack Museum. Any other use requires written permission.
Cite as: Emporium Lumber Company Photograph Collection , Adirondack Museum, Blue Mountain Lake, NY
Collection title devised by cataloger based on subject material.
Part of: Living with Wilderness: Enhancing Access to the AM Historic Photograph Collection (Council on Library and Information Resources Grant, 2015-2017)
Sykes, William Louther
Lakes & ponds
Sleds & sleighs
|Notes on Related Objects||Related manuscript, Emporium Forestry Company Records, 1908-1971 (MS 71-9), Adirondack Museum Library.|