|Collection||Saranac Inn Photograph Collection [graphic]|
|Object Name||Photograph Collection|
|Date||between 1888 and 1962|
|Extent of Description||136 photographs : gelatin silver prints, black and white|
|Scope & Content||Photographs of the Saranac Inn Resort on Upper Saranac Lake, NY. Includes images of the Main Inn Building, it's various other buildings, and the surrounding grounds. Some photographs taken by Seneca Ray Stoddard and William Langmead Distin.|
|Admin/Biographical History||The Saranac Inn was a large hotel located on a peninsula at the northern end of the Upper Saranac Lake in the town of Santa Clara. Originally built as the Prospect House in 1864, it started as a small hotel that accommodated 15 guests. It was gradually enlarged to handle up to 100. In 1886, it was purchased by a group of investors who renamed it Saranac Inn, and began a program of renovation and construction that brought the capacity to 250 by 1909. In 1916, the hotel was completely rebuilt, two stories were added, elevators, and a private bath in each room. It underwent further enlargement in the 1920s, and noted Saranac Lake architect William G. Distin was responsible for much of the design work. At its height, it could accommodate a thousand guests. After the Great Depression, business slowly declined and eventually the hotel closed in 1962, and burned to the ground in 1978.|
Fair use copy permitted for research, study, or investigational purposes citing the Adirondack Museum. Any other use requires written permission.
Cite as: Saranac Inn Photograph Collection, Adirondack Museum, Blue Mountain Lake, NY
Collection title devised by cataloger based on subject material.
Part of: Living with Wilderness: Enhancing Access to the AM Historic Photograph Collection (Council on Library and Information Resources Grant, 2015-2017)
Smith, Alfred Emanuel, 1873-1944
Lakes & ponds
|Notes on Related Objects||Related manuscript, Saranac Inn Records, 1930-1960, (MS 69-19), Adirondack Museum Library.|